Saturday, January 28, 2012

Little Women set and clear the table--just in time for Thanksgiving!

Grace is the gift that transforms our hearts into those like Christ, and we use this skill to transform a table into a truly welcoming place for our guests.

Our Lady of Grace, intercede for us.

In November's meeting, we learned how to formally and informally set a table for guests depending upon our menu. One rule to remember is that the first item to be used for the meal will be on the outside. (in our picture, the coffee cup would have been brought at the end of the meal and would not have been on the outside there). The forks go to the left of the plate in the order of how they will be used. The knife and spoons are placed on the right with the blade facing in towards the plate.

One thing I have never gotten into the habit of is that all dishes are always served on a plate and the plate is removed with the dish. The girls also got to practice serving on the left and removing from the right. In addition, I taught how to refill drinks off to the side of the table which would keep you from crowding your guests as well as keep your guest dry, in the case that you happened to spill. The best part was having them practice being quiet and discreet. As mentioned in the handbook, "....focus on the job and not on the table conversation, as it is not necessarily our business."

I was especially excited about this month's skill because Bubbles is at the age where she can be clearing, without being asked, as the different courses come to a close and the next one picks up. I think dinner parties will be much more enjoyable for her, with something meaningful to do and for me since I can pay close attention to my guest's conversation verses my dishes.
Serving at a table is a wonderful form of hospitality as we let others sit and enjoy good conversation, and a time of rest.
The above quote is something I put on the top of the girl's notebooking pages. I think that sums it up nicely.
Here the girls are playing a game to see which team could set all the essentials of an informal place setting correctly.
Can you tell that it is a race?
This was a totally random game, recommended in the handbook, where the girls raced with plates "and more" on their heads.
No holding aloud, but readjusting was okay. Don't you just love being able to laugh at yourself?
I love the frustrated face! :)
Can you tell who's the dancer and who knows that she has won this by a mile?

After the lesson and games, the girls got to work on an informal place setting for our FABULOUS lunch! Here I am discussing the importance of a center piece, but also the simplicity of one.
Somehow I forgot to take pictures of the delicious ham and cherry sauce, homemade turkey stuffing, delectable broccoli salad, melt-in-your mouth rolls, and yummy dessert.
After lunch, the girls and I headed over to a neighbor's house to spend some time with her and deliver some of the enormous amount of leftover food. I've discovered that not many of the older people out here like to cook for themselves. I probably wouldn't want to heat up the oven and dirty up dishes for myself either, so we try to remember them as often as possible.It was a memorable afternoon and we have many things to be thankful for....especially the gift of faith and of each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment