Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Feast of St. Andrew Kim and St. Paul Chong

Korean food in honor of Korean martyrs.
Father Andrew and layperson Paul both died at the hands of the Korean government in their attempt to squash Christianity in the year of 1846. These two men represent all the courageous Korean Catholics who stood firm in their faith. It is a reminder to us to thank God for the gift of religious freedom in our country and to continue to pray for other nations where Christians are being persecuted daily.

If you are a big fan of lettuce wraps, this is definitely a recipe you should try. First of all, I think I am losing my Chinese roots because I searched the entire kitchen and store room for sesame oil, rice vinegar, ginger, hoisin sauce, and rice (of all things). True to my new home, I found plenty of potatoes, okra, butter, flour, shortening, and squash. So, if you don't have typical oriental condiments lying around, this is the recipe for you.

Ingredients:
finely diced cooked chicken (I used leftovers from a chicken I boiled yesterday)
1 lg onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp. oil
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup Hoisin sauce (I've included a recipe for this...it's necessary)
1 bunch of green onions
shredded carrots to garnish the top

Saute onion and garlic in oil. Mix together soy sauce, Hoisin sauce then add to skillet. Throw in the green onions and then add the chicken. Make sure all is thoroughly combined and heated through. I sprinkled some sesame seeds on top to take care of the guilt that I was out of sesame oil. Serve in fresh, crisp lettuce leaves and top with carrots. Hot sauce on top is supreme!

Necessary hoisin sauce....the white girl's way
4 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. peanut butter
1 Tbsp. honey
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
20 drops hot sauce
1/8 tsp. pepper

Bubbles said it reminded her of our time at Grandma's when we ate out all the time. Pei Wei's being a favorite spot. I'm pretty sure her memory fails her, but five lettuce wraps later, I was honored that she felt that way.

Hope you have the same success!

No comments:

Post a Comment