Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Budding Artist

Throughout this past school year, and ever since Bubbles was a toddler, I have had a sprinkling of consistency with what I creatively call "Quiet Time". I've tried to insist on this for two simple reasons:
(1) my sanity
(2) how can you ever hear God speaking to you when you have not trained yourself to be still or quiet

Imagine my contentment today when I read these words from Mother Teresa:
Souls of prayer are souls of great silence. We cannot put ourselves directly in the presence of God if we do not practice internal and external silence.

So, the way it worked with Bubbles was I would put her in her room, with gate at the door, and she would have to play, by herself for thirty minutes. I would put a timer on so that she could see just how much longer she had. Once the timer went off, she could come out. Now that the kids are older, the rule is to have your quiet time, well quietly. This means you can play with anything that does not make noise--no electronics, no battery operated toys, no playing with each other. You can read, draw, etc.

Pictured below are some pictures I took of Prez, without him knowing, while he was drawing during his quiet time. I had to take the pictures because I was amazed at his technique. I have never known a four year old to attempt drawing still life of inanimate 3-D objects. Amazing!

Study it (furrow the brow).

Get all the angles.

Be specific.

The object.

His rendition.

Another attempt I found while in his room later that day.

If I seem to be bragging, you better believe that I am. I'm thoroughly floored at his capabilities. I'm pretty sure I know what he's getting for Christmas this year. So, to re-cap....quiet time has many benefits, spiritual and practical.

No comments:

Post a Comment