Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Feast of Corpus Cristi

If you remember any of your Latin studies, you'd know that this feast day is concerning the Body of Christ. I've always loved the opportunity to stop and meditate on the true presence of Christ in the Eucharist. This feast day was established in 1246 and is always the Thursday after the feast of the Holy Trinity. The Bishop usually moves it to Sunday so that the faithful will be able to celebrate it with the rest of the Body of Christ--the church.

Without going into a ton of apologetics, I'll just say that with today's little "food fun" we were able to talk about this tremendous mystery. Bubbles is familiar with John 6:48 (I am the bread of life) John 6:54-55 (Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink.) Hubby and I were able to point out to her John 6:60 (On hearing it, many disciples said, "This is a hard teaching, who can hear it?) After that, many disciples desert Jesus and Jesus turns to Peter and asks is Peter will abandon Him as well. The beauty of this passage is the fact that Jesus doesn't ask the disciples to come back. He doesn't tell them that they have misunderstood and then try to explain it better. He lets them go because He knows that it is a hard teaching. A little twinkle in Bubble's eyes was encouraging as she seemed to understand on a different level.

Pictured above is strawberry jello in a wine glass with two lemon tea cookies to look like Communion Hosts. The kids loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment