Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blessed Damien Joseph

Today we remember this amazing priest who spent the last 18 years of his life on the dreaded island of Malakoi taking care of the leper population which the Kingdom of Hawaii (it was not a state at the time) had wanted to forget. Faced with poverty, corruption, and despair, Blessed Damien was fearful at first. However, with the decision never to abandon these people, Blessed Damien, along with many lepers and volunteers, was able to transform Malakoi into an island of Christian love. If only we could have an ounce of his bravery and generosity. There are so many people who need our love, support, and prayers.

The cookies were really just a way to feast during this fabulous Easter season! They are almond cookies (simply irresistible) that I rolled in coconut (for Hawaii--cause anything with coconut is Hawaiian, right?) and dabbed with red food coloring in the middle. The kids and I talked about giving until it hurts and giving from the heart. Of course, Jesus is the supreme example of that, but Mother Teresa has a remarkable quote in line with our message of the day.

"Love until it hurts. Pretty soon, there will be no more hurt, only love." M.T.

I think as parents this is especially true, but something we also forget. At least I do. So many times I'm subconsciously keeping track in my head of how many times I've had to discipline, re-teach, wipe, pick-up, listen, or put aside my plans. It's pathetic to admit that I want to love, no doubt, but mostly only when it is convenient for me.

At times like this, I think of Mary, Jesus' mother. Mary stands at a focal point in human history. She lived before Christ and hoped for the Messiah and she was the first person to accept Jesus Christ in faith and welcome Him into existence.

She was the first Christian.

Immediately after that, she went to Elizabeth's house, taking Jesus with her, albeit in utero, but literally, physically brought Him. I wonder if I am bringing Christ to others? Although Blessed Damien found a community to minister to, I have my community. It is where I encounter the face of God. Often times, I am cleaning and kissing it.

So, where is your community? What do you bring them--Christ's love or criticism--Christ's joy or exasperation--Christ's peace or constant frustration and complaining--Christ's hope or dismay. What am I reflecting today? My prayer for myself is that today and everyday I will be a source of joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment