Tuesday, May 17, 2011

She Has the Write Stuff

I realized that I didn't post much about our writing, other than the fact that I am not smart enough to figure out how to post a powerpoint. I guess I'm hoping you don't care to read a research paper on Japan.

However, as we continued our studies on Jamestown, Bubbles has been keeping a fictitious diary. I was wanting to see what she was understanding about our learning as well as practice the ability to put yourself in someone else's shoes. (It seems in these preteens years there is so much self absorption). I also like the creative aspect of a diary. Bubbles likes that her entries can be shorter than the essays she usually writes. :)

December 20, 1609

Dear Diary,
I'm going to meet Captain John Smith in about four months. I can't wait. I think it is going to be exciting, but also hard. I heard that he'll make us work a lot. I won't mind. At least I don't think so.
When I get there, I bet I'll have to make dinner, clean the house, and wash clothes. I wonder what the houses look like. I asked my mom what we were going to eat. She doesn't know. (I hope it's good!) Mom said the Indians probably won't attack, but she doesn't know for sure.


Dear Diary,
We are almost there! Earlier today, when I ate lunch, I heard some men talking about the Captain's life. It was very interesting. If my friends back in England hear about this they would think I am very lucky to meet this man. Listen to this and you'll think I'm lucky too.
They said that when he was only fifteen years old, he began working for a merchant. A little while later, his father died and he finally went to travel the world. His first stop was France, to be a soldier. He fought in Holland, Hungry, and Transylvania too. In one of his battles he was captured by the Turks. The Turks sold him and he went to work as a slave. He was shipped off to another place to be a slave. This master was very cruel. He did very bad things to the Captain. Finally, Smith couldn't take it anymore and he killed his master. He then made it back to England. All the men said next was that he got to England.

Dear Diary,
We're here finally! They showed us our house and then put us to work! I'm a daughter of a farmer and I've done work, but this is insane! The farmers do most of the work. The gentlemen don't want to do anything. I don't like to be negative so I found a positive thing to mention. Captain John Smith is nice. Once I get used to it, I think I'm going to like it here.

Dear Diary,
Today, Captain John Smith said that anyone who doesn't work will get cold water poured down their shirt sleeve. Brrrr! But did the gentlemen care? No! I think Mr. Smith has a great idea. Oh, and also, when they got a few blisters or stubbed their toe, they start cursing. Mama says not to listen, but I think it's funny to listen to them.
I stayed awake until the first bucket of water was poured. I knew because that man would yell! Now if I would not work and that was poured on me, I would not like Captain Smith's idea at all. I don't think anyone would. I really do feel badly for them. But deep down inside, I think they deserved it!


Dear Diary,
Today Miss Pichered got Typhoid fever. I feel badly for her and her family. She has two little girls who are four. I stayed with her in the sick house. She has a fever that is 103 degrees and still going up. We think she got sick because of the dirty water she drank from the James River.
It's a new day and I'm hoping Misstress Pichered is getting better. But, she is getting worse! She doesn't eat much, she has stomach pains, weakness, headaches, rshes, and much more. When we checked her fever it went up to 104 degrees. I am not sure she is going to make it.


Dear Diary,
It's been three weeks and Misstress Pichered is not doing better. She is getting worse. This afternoon Miss Pichered died. I feel for her family. I tried to comfort her little girls, but nothing works.


Dear Diary,
One week after Mistress Pichered died a ship came and we thought we were saved. That is until we found out that the ship carried few supplies and even more settlers. Captain Smith was not very happy. I was furious! Mama told me not to say a word. I was so mad, I decided to make a list of things each person needed to bring and how much of it. This is what I came up with:
2 lbs. of salt
2 lbs. of pork or beef
4 cups of all kinds of herbs
2 guns with gunpowder
5 pocket knives
1 machete
4 shirts
6 pants
3 pairs of shoes
7 hats
4 pairs of mittens
6 pairs of socks
3 jackets
4 dresses
5 beaded necklaces--for trading
2 pots of extra beads--for trading
3 bells--for trading
bedding
lanterns
blankets
potable water
This is all I have right now, but I may add on later. Now, I can't wait until the next ship arrives.


Dear Diary,
I was finally getting used to Jamestown and then my dad said we were moving! I am a little tired of eating only one or two meals a day, but I don't want to move to Massachusetts Bay Colony! We just got here a year or so ago. My parents say it's better there.
Today, dad made my brother, my sister, and I sit down and he talked to us about what the new colony was like. The laws there weren't very good ones. At least, I don't think so. He said if someone disobeyed laws, they would be put in the stocks.
Now, the stocks are big, wooden things that are in the middle of the town. People have to put their head and arms in. Here's a picture.


And when people go to get anything out of their house, they see that person I would be so embarrassed! We'll go soon. Ugh!


**Don't you just love the look on Prez's face. On this day, we made a list of rules for our "new colony". Anyone who broke the rules had to spend time in the stocks. I tell you I've never heard this kid talk so fast as he tried to explain why he was not guilty.

No comments:

Post a Comment