Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wow! What a Wedge!

Having just finished up a lesson on simple machines, this handy tool (on loan from our awesome neighbor) is just the right tool for the job.

Place your wedge.

Pound it.

A little more.

Tah-dah! Splitting wood has never been so "easy".

It's so nice when a lesson comes full circle!

On a rather philosophical note...some days it feels like I'm the wood and God is the wedge. I'm so hardened to my old ways. Sometimes it feels like I have to be hit over the head, or slammed up against in order to move/change. My hardest days are the ones spent asking whining "Why" and grumbling against the different drains on my energy. If only I would lighten up, then God's work in me would actually be less work.
Today's reading got me thinking about this because it mentions the parable of the vine and the branches.

He takes away every branch that does not bear fruit. (John 15:2)

When I think about how many times a day I say "No" or "Do I have to?" to our Lord, I realize the pruning that is to come. Thank God for mercy and love. I realize how the Lord wants me to be more fruitful and I want that too. I ask myself, "Lord, where is it that I need pruning? What is not bearing fruit in my life?" So, as I go to sleep tonight and offer up another day, I'll try tomorrow to be less obtuse. I just hope He chooses to use a wedge and not some blunt object as he chips away my hardened ego.

No comments:

Post a Comment