Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sweetness recharges

Twas the hour before dinner, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The veggies were chopped, the house was not dirty
In hopes that the food would be served by five thirty.

The children were playing a game with each other
A harmonious union of a sister and a brother
With hubby still working to bring home the bacon
My still and calm thoughts were very much mistaken

When from the back bedroom there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the kitchen to see what was the matter
Away to the room, I flew in a flash
Which is where I found Sweetness eating candy in a dash!

With her stubby toddler fingers, so lively and quick
I knew in a moment it must be a trick
More rapid than termites her jaws got to chewing
Had she done this before? She knew what she was doing.

She spoke not a word, but kept keenly at work
After the last crumb then turned with a jerk.
And laying the trash to the side without reason
Took a look at my face which said, "You've got to be teasin'."

She sprang to her feet, her legs got to running
The speed of her frame was just short of stunning.
But I heard her exclaim as she left out of sight
"Thanks for the treat, Mom, it was every bit right!"



No comments:

Post a Comment