Thursday, February 16, 2012

One Particularly Crazy Friday

6:00am - Alarm goes off and I bolt stagger out of bed.

6:05am - I go to the bathroom, put on my robe, and head to the kitchen.

6:10am - I take out the recipe for my very first (ever) Red Velvet Cake.
I volunteered to make this cake and have it at the church by 3:30 in order to be served for the Knights of Columbus Valentine's Dance. With such a busy day ahead of me, I knew I had to get it into the oven before Mass so that I could have it cooled and iced by lunchtime.

6:20am - I pick up my .25oz vile of red food coloring and realize that the recipe calls for 1 ounce of red coloring. Guess what??? I'm DOUBLING the recipe!!!!

6:22am - put ingredients aside and go to take my shower because now I have to "run" into town for red coloring.

TIME PASSES AND HUBBY MAKES THE TRIP FOR ME SINCE HE HAD ERRANDS TO RUN IN TOWN ANYWAYS

11:ish - Get the food coloring, but Hubby had to buy boxes upon boxes of the little squeezable viles. You see, the other ladies (there were about 20 of us making cakes for the crowd of 150) are smarter than me and had made their cake earlier. Upon discovering the shockingly enormous amount of food coloring needed, ran the only store in town and bought all the red food coloring. Well, I guess Valentine school parties could have something to do with it also. ;) So, now I have four boxes of yellow, blue, and green bottles collecting dust. Would a blue cake be too frightening?

11:45ish - A beautiful red velvet cake adorns the counter.
12:30pm - I pull the cream cheese frosting out of the fridge and frost that gorgeous cake. I also tried desperately to figure out a way to cut off an edge and try the thing. I knew though that after my mishap with Prez's first birthday lego cake, that I was not going to bother with crumb mess.

1:00pm - Late, late lunch and then rush to clean up before writing club.

2:00pm - A small group of writing club members show up with papers in hand. I asked one of the other moms to do snacks since I knew I would be baking and juggling other things that day.

3:30pm - Sweetness decides that she will elbow her way into the group and "do as the Romans do". Don't you love how nobody seems to notice or care?
Y'all.....look at that pencil grip and how she's paying such careful attention to another member! Amazing, right?

4:30pm - Writing Club is over and everyone has left.

4:45pm - Become a hero to the kiddos when I throw fish sticks on a pan, into the oven and boil water for mac-n-cheese.

4:55pm - I take one look at myself after a very long and trying day and realize that I don't want to go on a date with Hubby (in 50 minutes) looking so ragged. So, I decide to "do something different", "shake it up a bit", "surprise Hubby" and I begin straightening my hair! Crazy, I know. But honestly, y'all. My hair has grown enough that it's bushy, but not enough that it can be pulled back well. So, in the words of Sally Fields on Steal Magnolias."My hair looks like a brown football helmet." Thanks be to God, Bubbles took over in the kitchen and by the time I emerged - a new woman- all three kids were eating fish sticks, mac-n-cheese, and peas. Oh, she is such an angel!

5:50pm - Arrive at the church for the Knights of Columbus Valentine Dance and Dinner.

6:15pm - Enjoy having someone SERVE ME a meal that I didn't cook and I don't have to clean up. We devoured a delicious salad, pork loin with apple chutney, roasted potatoes, and of course, red velvet cake along with a cheesecake cupcake. Would you believe that we're pretty sure we ate a piece of the cake I baked! (Isn't God so great? He knew I wanted to taste that cake). The verdict? - I don't like red velvet cake.

7:00pm - The entertainment took the stage. They were called Shake, Rattle, and Roll. A doo-op group that performed hits from the 50s. Because these are my mom's favorite songs, I grew up listening to them and stunned everyone when I knew the majority of the words and even a handful of the artists!
Shake, Rattle, and Roll
Here we are when we first got there. I still had my jacket on, which is a bummer because the cocktail dress I wore was FABULOUS! It was the color of Hubby's shirt underneath and was covered in a beautiful black lace. I LOVE that dress with all my HEART. (puns intended)
These are our good friends down the street who were the impetus for us going and in their extreme generosity offered us a seat at the table they purchased! They are priceless and we love them!

9:30pm - Going home.

10:30pm - In bed

10:31pm - Asleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment