Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pancake Tuesday - aka Fat Tuesday

After spending way too much time last year on a King's cake that was not a huge hit, I went looking for another way to make something festive. It's a pancake, but hey...it's still cake! ;)


Here I just split the pancake batter into three bowls and dyed it with my excessive of food coloring. I knew I'd find something useful for all that dye. Of course, I needed a little red to mix with the blue and we all know that I didn't have any of that left. I did find one box of strawberry jello and added that. As a nice surprise, the purple pancakes had a faint, but yummy fruit flavor.
Yummy, yummy, yummy! Here is a link that explains Pancake Tuesday in more detail.

So, that took care of the morning. I had plans to decorate in the afternoon and then begin our last food splurge before the Lenten season begins.

Each family member chose one dish that they wanted to indulge in. Hubby chose Kimpop, which is basically the Korean form of sushi, I chose Chop Chae, another Korean dish, and Bubbles chose a Chocolate Mouse Cheesecake. Prez just wanted lots of candy.

My friend, Katy, had been wanting to learn how to make these, so she and her kids came over and did a SUPER job at rolling, cutting and, of course, feasting.
Here is Bubbles, doing her part to help.
If you like this stuff, I'm sure you are loving this photo. If you are like me, this does nothing for you. Each of these rolls has imitation crab, pickled radish, egg, and carrot. You can add whatever you like, however.
Here is the Chop Chae, which I realize looks intense with all the glass noodles, but let me assure you that every single munchkin at the table devoured it!
The finale, of course, was the cheesecake. We had to practice our patience and wait until about 8pm before sampling, but it was worth it. Chocolate wafer crust, New York style middle, and hardened chocolate on the top! Agh--I should have typed this up last night since I'm pretty hungry right now. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment